Batch Translate IPs to location?

More
12 years 1 month ago #10050 by carlatf
Hi,
I just installed Geommunity locator.

Not all my users have their locations set. I think it would be really usefull if the plugin had the option to Translate IPs to locations thanks to Maxmind geoip database. (like an auto-locator)

From 25.000 users only hundreds have their locations set, with this plugins I'd have an approximate location for each user.

Best regards,
Carla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10053 by nordmograph
Unfortunately a batch process can not use IP to geocode unless IP is stored in the database.
Also we use physical address as IP geocoding is sometimes very approximative.

Geommunity locator plugin requires that user set location manually, but using the bach admin module (not the one for medias but the one for users) can geocode the whole community unless users have directions set in fields.

- Need help? Post the URL of the related page (eventualy as confidential info), it will help solve your issue faster.
- An error, notice or warning? report the exact message including the line number
- If you get a white page , enable error reporting and / or check your server error logs.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10054 by carlatf
Hi,

Yes, I know it's approximative but it's better than nothing. In my case, I have the IPs stored in the database and only few users have the City and country field in JS so it would be really useful.

Can the geommunity plugin be place to auto locate the user without having to press the button and click accept?

Thanks very much.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10055 by nordmograph
Acceptation has to be pressed only once.

Where is your IP field stored in the DB? I could add it to the batch geocoder menu.
I used to use hostip.info API for IP geolocation. Heard of it?

- Need help? Post the URL of the related page (eventualy as confidential info), it will help solve your issue faster.
- An error, notice or warning? report the exact message including the line number
- If you get a white page , enable error reporting and / or check your server error logs.

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds