StreetGuessr unusable because of incorrect locations

More
3 years 11 months ago #44439 by mjt007
Hello,
I recently managed to get the StreetGuessr game working again by disabling mootools, The problem had been that the panorama views were not showing, just a blank black region, although the maps were working fine. The mootools fix also solved an earlier problem with mouse dragging rotation not working.
Sadly I have now discovered that the game has become unusable because the reported locations are nowhere near the actual locations. I have just tried two locations which it so happened that I know extremely well so my guesses would have been just a few metres out at most. The first was reported as being over 1.5km away, the other side of the village from where the panorama was actually taken, and the next was reported as being 5927km away!
I am using the current version, 1.1.19. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,
Mike T.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #44446 by nordmograph
Hello,

Very interesting. It could be of a mistaken coordinates set to a photo. But I'm not sure if this is a global malfunction of the component. Are some other pics correctly located ? or none?

- Need help? Post the URL of the related page (eventualy as confidential info), it will help solve your issue faster.
- An error, notice or warning? report the exact message including the line number
- If you get a white page , enable error reporting and / or check your server error logs.

More
3 years 11 months ago #44456 by mjt007
It seems to be happening all the time now. I've just played a five round game on a map of the town where I live. For three of the locations my guesses were definitely within a few metres of the actual location, but my first guess was reported as being over 1.5km out, and the next four were all reported as being over 5900km out.
However, when I looked at the summary at the end of the game I got this (sorry about the lack of formatting) :

Round 1 Guess Distance: 5919.096 km (3678.74 miles) pts -1587481307s
Round 2 Guess Distance: 0.000 km (0.00 miles) pts 0s
Round 3 Guess Distance: 0.000 km (0.00 miles) pts 0s
Round 4 Guess Distance: 0.000 km (0.00 miles) pts 0s
Round 5 Guess Distance: 5918.087 km (3678.11 miles) 0 pts 1587481418s
0 pts 111s

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #44458 by mjt007
I seem to have solved the problem of guesses being reported as over 5900km out. A few months ago I upgraded my database from mysql to mariadb. I just looked at the streetguesser tables and noticed that their collation was not utf8mb4_unicode_ci, as used by the installer. After fixing this the 5900km plus problem was gone.
However, the answers are still random distances out, from a few tens of metres to several kilometres from my testing so far. This is happening with every guess as far as I can tell.

EDIT : I spoke too soon! My very next guess was reported as being over 5900km out :-( .
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by mjt007.

More
3 years 11 months ago #44460 by mjt007
Just tried installing on a 'vanilla' joomla, had the same problems :
- No panorama display, just a black background, until mootools was disabled
- The locations given are not correct, by seemingly random directions and distances.

Time to create page: 0.316 seconds