Automatically on map?`

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 8 months ago #3579 by
Automatically on map?` was created by
Hi,
I am using JomSocial 1.8 and would like to show 5 profile infos from my JomSocial-users including their location automatically on the map without the need of extra positioning by the user on the map.

That means, during the registration, the user states his address, then the user is shown automatically on the map...

Is this possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #3587 by nordmograph
Hello

Well first you'll need the geommunity suite for Jomsocial. Then, if a registering user fills in the direction fields, JS1.8 geocoded them automatically. But the I recommend to modify the Jomsocial database fields with phpmyadmin for latitude and longitude as explained in another post because by default those fields value can not be accurate for locations.

- Need help? Post the URL of the related page (eventualy as confidential info), it will help solve your issue faster.
- An error, notice or warning? report the exact message including the line number
- If you get a white page , enable error reporting and / or check your server error logs.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 8 months ago #3601 by
Replied by on topic Re: Automatically on map?`
nordmograph wrote:

Hello

Well first you'll need the geommunity suite for Jomsocial. Then, if a registering user fills in the direction fields, JS1.8 geocoded them automatically.

For automatic geocoding, are you using all adress fields, or only specific ones? I recognized that if a user is filling out CITY and COUNTRY only, there is no geo coding. If the user is adding the ZIP-Code, then its OK.

But the I recommend to modify the Jomsocial database fields with phpmyadmin for latitude and longitude as explained in another post because by default those fields value can not be accurate for locations.

Can you pls. specify, which post. I cant find it...

Cheers

More
13 years 8 months ago #3605 by nordmograph
Here is the post:
www.nordmograph.com/en/support/43-plggeo...ar-char255.html#2682

Of course geocoding is approximative if direction not set precisely. Also 2 users setting only their city as LasVegas would appear on the map at the exact same point.

- Need help? Post the URL of the related page (eventualy as confidential info), it will help solve your issue faster.
- An error, notice or warning? report the exact message including the line number
- If you get a white page , enable error reporting and / or check your server error logs.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #3738 by
Replied by on topic Re: Automatically on map?`
nordmograph wrote:

Hello

Well first you'll need the geommunity suite for Jomsocial. Then, if a registering user fills in the direction fields, JS1.8 geocoded them automatically. But the I recommend to modify the Jomsocial database fields with phpmyadmin for latitude and longitude as explained in another post because by default those fields value can not be accurate for locations.

I have done that.
I also modified the JS database as you recommeded.

I just figured out that new registered users are not shown automatically on the map: www.flugzeugfliegen.com/mitflugboerse.html
Only if the user goes to his Jomsocial profile once and clicks again on save (without changing something), then the user is shown on the map.

I am using
Joomla 1.5.20
Jomsocial 1.8.7

More
13 years 7 months ago #3741 by nordmograph
There is no bug, as you said you are not using the geommunity locator for Jomsocial.

Jomsocial only geocodes a user when address is filled in and when saving changes.

If you want the whole community to be geocoded in one click then you need our Batch geocoder admin module.

Time to create page: 0.366 seconds