How to avoid uppercase/spaces in tag related urls?

More
8 years 8 months ago #29453 by nordmograph
You can now try beta5

- Need help? Post the URL of the related page (eventualy as confidential info), it will help solve your issue faster.
- An error, notice or warning? report the exact message including the line number
- If you get a white page , enable error reporting and / or check your server error logs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #29454 by mmcedizioni
Using beta5 I get those errors:
Warning: require_once(/var/www/components/com_vm2tags/helper/vm2tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/plugins/content/vm2tags/vm2tags.php on line 49
Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/var/www/components/com_vm2tags/helper/vm2tags.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/plugins/content/vm2tags/vm2tags.php on line 49

I'm running Joomla 3.4.3, VM 3.0.9.4
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by mmcedizioni. Reason: correct spelling

More
8 years 8 months ago #29455 by nordmograph
Oups, try beta5b

- Need help? Post the URL of the related page (eventualy as confidential info), it will help solve your issue faster.
- An error, notice or warning? report the exact message including the line number
- If you get a white page , enable error reporting and / or check your server error logs.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #29456 by mmcedizioni
The '-' insertion looks great, and works great too :)

Still remains the accented chars question, I get url with accented characters, see there:
www.mmcedizioni.it/it/component/vm2tags/...-romane.html?Itemid=

But I was also considering to suggest you a possible better way to manage non standard tag chars, if this will not bring to a query load increase and/or huge coding: a 'cross-reference tag2alias table', where a column has the orginal tag and another column has the wanted tag alias.
Using this cross reference way, you could assign to each tag (automatically or by hand) the right converted alias you want to see in your url.

Example
hello guy -> hello-guy
sant'elena -> sant-elena
check cross-talk -> check-cross-talk
S.Luigi -> s-luigi (or i.e. 'san-luigi' if you can adjust it by hand to get a specific alias, this second option is not very imortant, an automatic alias generation is sure enough for the standard use!! )

Like VM does in products name -> alias function.

This could solve upper/lowercase problem, and any other issue in non standard tags management: keep the tag, convert it, make the cross reference in the tag2alias table and use it in url generation.

Is this difficult and/or heavy-query-loading to code?

Thank you for being patient enough to hear my thought :)

All the best
Regards

p.s. I also forget to mention a small issue I found in beta builds: in my VM configuration I have changed the default VM image dir, my one is now /catalogue/product/ : in your default.php view, you replace the whole /virtuemart/product/ substituting it with the /virtuemart/product/resized/ string. You shoud consider to strip only the /product/ part and substitute it with /products/resized/ , due to the fact that the base url (the/virtuemart/ string part) is now customizable in VM3. Otherwise, you get a wrong image url when using a non standard image repository
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by mmcedizioni.

More
8 years 8 months ago #29457 by nordmograph
Hi,

thanks for your thoughts.
Beta6 has the fix for your thumbnails and upper/lowercase issues.
Give it a try, only thing I couldnot test right now (although it has been modified too for beta6) is the upper/lowercase search term matching for Joomla vm2tag search.

For the accentation issue, I wonder if accentuated urls are such a big deal.
It seems that in your url , the accent is encoded
www.mmcedizioni.it/it/component/vm2tags/...-romane.html?Itemid=

such as in wikipedia urls for instance

The accents show fine in modern browsers
And the encoded version only shows when copying the url.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcedizioni

More
8 years 8 months ago #29478 by mmcedizioni
A small report: after testing latest beta, I had a starting small problem due to an older override vm2tag component view wrongly left in my template dir, confusing me a bit :) This caused wrong posting, already deleted: sorry for that...

After recognizing my fault, I have succesfully tested the beta, confirming that it works now as expected.

The only small secondary issues are:
- RSS link in results page returns a 404 error, not very important but should be solved: any hint about?
- the tag in results page title does not contain the original upercases: is there a way to get them back? It will look better :)

More, do you plan to add a config option to set the number of results per page?

Regards

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds